20 HEALTHY HABITS
We all know that looking after ourselves is important but somehow it seems like a struggle for many of us. It can be overwhelming at the best of times to make sure we are eating well, resting, exercising, and doing all those other things that ensure our overall health and wellbeing is good.
So we decided to make it a bit easier by giving you a list of 20 things you can focus on that will help your overall health and wellbeing. Be sure to take note of those things you already doing and then focus on a few at a time to work on until they just become part of your life.
1. Start fresh every single day. Leave behind the negative feelings and thoughts of yesterday, today is a new day.
2. Adopt a “meatless Monday” mentality. For recipe ideas check out this fun website
3. Keep your phone in your bag when you’re out with people. Be present in the moment and enjoy the company
4. Cut back on sugar. Cutting back on the white stuff in all its forms can help improve the quality of your collagen, helping stop premature aging and wrinkles
5. Drink warm water with lemon daily on rising. A simple yet effective way to prepare your body to digest your most important meal of the day, breakfast
6. Never grocery shop on an empty stomach. We all know why! It ends up costing more and we often make unhelpful food choices
7. Eat whole foods as much as possible. The less processed food you consume, the better!
8. Don’t overdo the alcohol. Alcohol heats and dehydrates your skin (red wine in particular stimulates and weakens capillaries) as well as putting stress on your liver
9. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Water is one of the key nutrients needed for skin health, important in hydrating your skin from the inside
10. Make your home a place you want to be. A place to rest and relax
11. Don’t buy things you’ll only wear once. It happens to the best of us…. doing it less will save money… think of what you could do with that money instead
12. Use YouTube for free exercise videos. We particularly like this Pilates one
13. Google “how to make your own cleaning supplies”. You might even find one you want to try!
14. Listen to your body. It speaks to you all the time, so keep an ear out
15. Don’t skimp on sleep. Sleep gives you energy and allows your body to rest and recover. It is especially important during the hours of 10pm and 2am when your liver does its daily washing cycle, cleaning the body internally.
16. Do mental health checks. Checking in with yourself mentally is just as important as looking after your physical health. It can be as simple as asking yourself how you are feeling at the moment or check out this information sheet for something more in depth details
17. Read labels on everything from food to makeup. It is always good to know what you are giving your body, whether through eating or what you are putting on your skin
18. Prioritise stress management. Stress creates all sorts of problems with our health and wellbeing, it can heat our skin and affect our gut health to name a few. Help manage stress with regular exercise, making time for fun and relaxation and adopting a healthy lifestyle
19. Always wear a seatbelt, even in a taxi. Your life is precious – do what you can to be safe
20. Count your blessings. Be grateful for what you have, it is enough